the ghoul froggy

(Hey, cool it with the boom-booms.). I’d be rankled being called a children’s-show host. There were no appearances where no one showed up.”. Ron and the Ghoul crew were planning the day’s taping, which included, “The Watermelon Bit.”, “We can’t blow it up inside. Do you have to have the toilet flush?” Again, here we go: “Take your head off before you get on the bus.” You know, that mentality. It sent chills up and down my spine. var first = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; Sweed met Mary Terese Matousek, his second wife, back in ’88. ©2020 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. “I said, ‘Wouldn't it be fun if you came back once a month, did four shows, wrap them out real quick in one day, go back to the West Coast and continue to be a multimillionaire?’ Well, I presented him with the idea that evening at dinner. "And Ghoulardi said: ‘Ghoulardi’s not afraid of no gorilla.’ And he hit me in the chest. “The Ghoul” starting off in Cleveland on WKBF-TV in 1971, and later Kaiser Broadcasting syndicated his show to Detroit, Chicago, and Boston. It was a local success, and then Kaiser Broadcasting syndicated the Ghoul to its seven stations across the country, including Detroit. They’re very similar.”. No reflection on Detroit, I just wanted to be back home.”. I like that. And I was able to talk to the people who know him best, his wife, and the source of all evil, the Ghoul’s mother. The Plexiglas didn’t keep me from getting sideswiped. During the last few years, he would make occasional appearances at metro Detroit clubs. With that blessing, Sweed took "The Ghoul" to Cleveland's Kaiser Broadcasting station WKBF-TV in 1971. Television stations found it easier to sell infomercials in the late night hours. We weren’t very kind 13-year-olds … Then the show was over, so we took this short-cut home which was through a back alley. It was a disaster, at first. [6], The same year, Sweed co-authored (with Mike Olszewski) The Ghoul (S)crapbook (.mw-parser-output cite.citation{font-style:inherit}.mw-parser-output .citation q{quotes:"\"""\"""'""'"}.mw-parser-output .id-lock-free a,.mw-parser-output .citation .cs1-lock-free a{background:linear-gradient(transparent,transparent),url("//upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/65/Lock-green.svg")right 0.1em center/9px no-repeat}.mw-parser-output .id-lock-limited a,.mw-parser-output .id-lock-registration a,.mw-parser-output .citation .cs1-lock-limited a,.mw-parser-output .citation .cs1-lock-registration a{background:linear-gradient(transparent,transparent),url("//upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d6/Lock-gray-alt-2.svg")right 0.1em center/9px no-repeat}.mw-parser-output .id-lock-subscription a,.mw-parser-output .citation .cs1-lock-subscription a{background:linear-gradient(transparent,transparent),url("//upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/aa/Lock-red-alt-2.svg")right 0.1em center/9px no-repeat}.mw-parser-output .cs1-subscription,.mw-parser-output .cs1-registration{color:#555}.mw-parser-output .cs1-subscription span,.mw-parser-output .cs1-registration span{border-bottom:1px dotted;cursor:help}.mw-parser-output .cs1-ws-icon a{background:linear-gradient(transparent,transparent),url("//upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4c/Wikisource-logo.svg")right 0.1em center/12px no-repeat}.mw-parser-output code.cs1-code{color:inherit;background:inherit;border:none;padding:inherit}.mw-parser-output .cs1-hidden-error{display:none;font-size:100%}.mw-parser-output .cs1-visible-error{font-size:100%}.mw-parser-output .cs1-maint{display:none;color:#33aa33;margin-left:0.3em}.mw-parser-output .cs1-subscription,.mw-parser-output .cs1-registration,.mw-parser-output .cs1-format{font-size:95%}.mw-parser-output .cs1-kern-left,.mw-parser-output .cs1-kern-wl-left{padding-left:0.2em}.mw-parser-output .cs1-kern-right,.mw-parser-output .cs1-kern-wl-right{padding-right:0.2em}.mw-parser-output .citation .mw-selflink{font-weight:inherit}ISBN 978-1886228221), a book collecting memories, on-set photographs, transcripts, correspondence, and memos from his years on the air. Hamtramck spelled backwards is Kc-mart-mah. She responded, "Ron was very different right from the time he came out of the chute. We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Detroit Metro Times. our partners use cookies to personalize your experience, to show you ads based on your interests, and for measurement and analytics purposes. All parts of this site Copyright © 2020 Detroit Metro Times. [8] It bombed in Chicago (where Sweed had the thankless task of replacing the popular Svengoolie) and in Boston, but was huge in Detroit at WKBD TV-50,[12] and enjoyed varying degrees of success in the other markets. Ron Sweed, the horror host who became a hit on early 1970s Detroit TV in a haze of firecrackers, absurdist humor and the never-ending torture of his sidekick Froggy, has died in Cleveland at the age of 70. That dive into the orchestra pit would prove to be a turning point in Sweed’s life. “The intellect, the fan base (in Detroit), whatever, they get it,” he said. Some Detroiters remember those crazy days when you actually chose to stay home just to see what that pierogi-wielding nut would do next. “It’s all bottom line. Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community. I was only gonna do Froggy one time. So the jokes translated well. Embryos. He had glasses on, and he wore his hair that way, and he got in the car and they ... Oh the people were just thrilled to death! But little did Ron or his mother know that this budding young Ghoul’s future rested inside an unguarded crate. He was using the crazy hip lingo that Ernie had, and tweaking it a bit more.”. I was very gullible. As a result, Sweed never appeared on air in Chicago again. Greg Russell produces and hosts “Positively Detroit,” a monthly special on WB 20 in connection with Detroit’s 300th Birthday. Silkini was loading up to go home. I realized how very nice it is that I could entertain young people at the same time, still entertain adults on that level, the kids are laughing at one thing here, while the adults are catching some stuff up there. From ’75 to ’79 he lived in Waterford, performed on radio and was passed around Detroit TV stations like a mop-headed hot potato, going from Channel 50, to 20, to 62, then back to 20. All of a sudden, he just stops, “I don’t believe that! When Anderson eventually departed for Hollywood to work as an announcer — he was the guy who announced “The luuuuvvv Boat” on ABC-TV’s “The Love Boat" — Ghoulardi disappeared from the Cleveland airwaves as Anderson made his fortune in Los Angeles. He says Sweed wasn’t the only local personality having trouble staying on the air back in the ’80s. That was an A1 bomb. Did it. Website powered by Foundation, Late-night TV horror host Ron 'The Ghoul' Sweed dead at age 70, A 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' prequel, and other things to stream this week, Hulu’s ‘Woke’ and other new things to stream this week, Disney’s ‘Mulan’ remake is finally here, plus other things to stream this week, Frontline workers can play free table tennis at Pong Detroit this month, Put your rhinestone strap-on away, Detroit's 2021 Dirty Show is postponed, Lizzo and her flute will willingly 'Bird Up' on 'The Eric Andre Show', Michigan celebs Jeff Daniels and Tim Allen lend recognizable voices to dueling political ads, Everything you need to know about the general election on Tuesday, Nov. 3. Barnum would have been proud of. He had undergone triple bypass surgery on November 7, 2018. Plenty of Ghoulardi props and shticks stayed; others were added, but all were dished out in a more erratic and frantic manner as the next “heavy metal” generation took over. Whitmer's Press Conference? Nothing. Alan Frank, president of Post-Newsweek Stations Inc., which include Detroit’s WDIV-TV, may not have grown up with the Ghoul, but he sees other problems. “But I love living here. This is how he met Ernie Anderson. [9] Meanwhile, Kaiser Broadcasting 's successor, Field Communications bought back Horror Film Features by airing Son of Svengoolie on Chicago's WFLD on June 16, 1979.

Red Leaf Cranberry Hibiscus, Steel Grey Horse, All In The Golden Afternoon Poem, Oppo A3s 3gb, News Article Analysis Worksheet Answers,