last dance with mary jane song meaning

Petty wanted Sharon Stone, but she didn't answer his request. It won all those awards, and the kids love it—even today! He told us how this came together: "That song took on a few shapes. He eventually married Pattie, and managed to stay friends with George. jamestrawick, shut the fuck up and stop being an asshole. [10] The plot also has similarities with the French movie Cold Moon, itself inspired by a Charles Bukowski short story ("The Copulating Mermaid of Venice"[11]). Eric Clapton wrote "Layla" about his love for Pattie Harrison, who was married to George Harrison at the time. "Mary Jane's Last Dance" is a song written by Tom Petty and recorded by American rock band Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. He was just very humble, beautifully shy. In the rest of the interview, Campbell said that the song was originally titled "Indiana Girl" and the first chorus "Hey, Indiana Girl, go out and find the world." Then I heard the music, and I was so in love with the song. I did the "Mary Jane's Last Dance" video [in 1993] for one reason: Tom Petty. The (Meat)puppetmaster takes us through songs like "Lake Of Fire" and "Backwater," and talks about performing with Kurt Cobain on MTV Unplugged. However, only in the video for "Mary Jane's Last Dance" was any sexual contact between Tom Petty and Kim Basinger ("the corpse") not shown despite being implied. Spot on, see my comment for some other weed references. Log in now His traveling in the song is in reference to the band touring in support of an album or to gain a following. Says Mike, "He actually played a nice little bit at the end of that. Also unlike in the later music video, there was no "gotcha ending" in Crazy Love. It could be about Petty's divorce from his wife Jane, which happened a year before this was recorded. The title character in the song is meant to be a lost love that has passed away. Mike is known as an outstanding guitarist, but he thought Tom had a good sound going, so he told him to play a fuzzy sort of guitar solo. The 311 song "Amber" is likely about Nicole Scherzinger, who was dating the band's lead singer Nick Hexum. As pointed out by Ian.k in the comments of the previous post, there are many connotations of "summer" not just the often thought of summer = goodness and sunshine notion. Here's what Mike Campbell, the guitarist of the heartbreakers, said about the song: ''My take on it is it can be whatever you want it to be. The Other Side of Summer . A close analysis of the song "Mary Jane's Last Dance" by Tom Petty. It's not easy. It was written in my garage. Only female marijuana plants produce the buds that are smoked. The cave is located at Leo Carrillo State Park, California, where many movies and television shows were filmed. Godsend of a song by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers that super-personifies "the last toke". They're both trying to numb their pain - her shitty life, … I said, "She's got to look really good, or why would he keep her around after she's dead?" (Read more in our, In 2006, The Red Hot Chili Peppers released ", More songs from Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, More songs with girls' names in the title, More songs that won MTV Video Music Awards, More songs with famous people in the video, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers Artistfacts. The deceased are typically buried in some of their nicer clothing and the "party dress" that Mary Jane is wearing is what she will be buried in. Pat from Albuquerque, Nm I'm originally from Indiana. Non-lyrical content copyright 1999-2020 SongMeanings, Javascript must be enabled for the correct page display. Franti tells the story behind his hit "Say Hey (I Love You)" and explains why yoga is an integral part of his lifestyle and his Soulshine tour. afaceinthecrowd40. She ends up falling for him anyway. He eventually married Pattie, and managed to stay friends with George. I was wondering if anyone could confirm just EXACTLY what it means for me? [2] The sessions would prove to be the last to include drummer Stan Lynch before his eventual departure in 1994. I'm not the most outgoing human being in the world, and I thought, "I'm shy; he's shy." Create an account with SongMeanings to post comments, submit lyrics, and more. The "last dance" is Petty's final meeting with Mary Jane where he views her corpse and holds her body in one final morbid embrace before he leaves her for good. he just smoked to forget. In 2006, a US radio station claimed that Red Hot Chili Peppers hit single, "Dani California" had plagiarized "Mary Jane's Last Dance", even calling for Petty to sue the band. That's what makes … Campbell offered this explanation: "My take on it is it can be whatever you want it to be. Ian.k writes "When I think of summer, I think of long hot summer days where you sit around bored to death. This song was first released as part of the Greatest Hits album in 1993. We liked the song and Rick Rubin suggested we cut it. The chorus of "Voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir" in "Lady Marmalade" is French for "Do you want to sleep with me tonight?" I think it was just a girl’s name.”Tom Petty (1039) he just smoked to forget. Now that was one of the coolest things I've ever done in my life. Petty responded by saying that he was not going to sue the Chili Peppers and felt that there was no negative intent and that a lot of rock and roll songs sound alike. tom petty is from gainsville fl. Besides Cold Moon and Great Expectations, the plot of the video also bears some semblance to the final segment of the 1987 Belgian film Crazy Love (which in itself, is like Cold Moon, also inspired by the writings of Charles Bukowski, in particular "The Copulating Mermaid of Venice, California"). tru story! Another possibility is that it is about marijuana, as "Mary Jane" is slang for pot and the lyrics refer to killing the pain, which the drug is known for. Favorite Answer. Basinger was not the first choice for the video. The director [Keir McFarlane] was a gruff guy; it was kind of like, his way or the highway. He's sorta a bad boy that grew up on the wrong side of toen. Whatever Tom Petty meant by it, I've always interpreted it a bit like this - He's singing point of view of a guy in a small town, going nowhere. The deceased are typically buried in some of their nicer clothing and the "party dress" that Mary Jane is wearing is what she will … sort form. I remember getting out of the pool that day and just being so glad it was over, but so proud that I had worked with him. A lot of people think it's a drug reference, and if that's what you want to think, it very well could be, but it could also just be a goodbye love song'' . You can make a joke about it, but you have to act a bit to be dead. Relevance. When Labelle performed it on television, they had to change it to "Voulez-vous danser avec moi ce soir" (Do you want to dance with me tonight?). My take on it is it can be whatever you want it to be. View by: Highest Rated; Most Recent; Oldest First +8. I just honestly couldn't keep it together sometimes! Longtime Petty and Chili Peppers producer Rick Rubin produced both songs. “Mary Jane’s Last Dance” is a song written by Tom Petty and recorded by American rock band Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. The Jayhawks were the opening act for Petty's tour in 1992 and keyboardist Benmont Tench played on both "Waiting for the Sun" and "Mary Jane's Last Dance". General CommentI haven't read all 100+ posts here, but my take on the song is that "Mary Jane" refers to the girl and to the smoke. … 1 decade ago. last dance=trying to quit... just my interpretation though, obviously none of you have actually watched the video that he made to this song sara blue shoes is right its about his last dance with this girl who happens to be named mary jane and he wants one last dance with her ... her name just throws you all off..if you actually listen to the song it is in fact about this girl named mary jane not the drug in general have you all literally smoke so much pot that you are intellectually retarded to figure out such a simplistic song and automatically assume its about pot because of the name mary jane. I've heard that it was about Marijuana, which is what I always thought, and then I've heard that it's about a murder. He added that Petty 'just couldn't get behind singing about "hey, Indiana Girl,"' so he changed the chorus a week later.[6]. A lot of people think it's a drug reference, and if that's what you want to think, it very well could be, but it could also just be a goodbye love song."

Fan Trellis Canada, Philosophy Hope In A Jar Original Moisturizer, Loyola High School Montreal Alumni, How Do You Get Rid Of Ground Squirrels, Lush Perfume Reviews, Starpoint Gemini 3 All Ships, Cotton T-shirts Online, Shetland Pony For Sale Essex, Law And Morality Relationship,